Dr. Mehmet Oz kicks off this week on The Dr. Oz Show with the Just 10 Challenge. He says that weight loss can seem impossible when there's so much to lose, but that by losing as few as 10 lbs, we can see significant improvement in several areas of our health. He issues 5 rules to lose the weight and has partnered with Zappos.com to provide participants with a free Just 10 bracelet.
On his list of 10 reasons to lose weight, Dr. Oz lists such benefits as lowering your cholesterol levels and reducing your risk of dementia. Joint pain, cancer risk, and an improved sex life are other reasons to commit to weight loss. Dropping the pounds doesn't have to be difficult if taken one step at a time, and one rule at a time.
Drop your calorie and sugar consumption to healthy levels and get moving with Dr. Oz's 5 rules for weight loss:
- No Soda - Period - The sugar packed, caffeine-laden drinks will only serve to fill you with empty calories and increase your risk of diabetes, bone weakening and tooth decay. Cut out both diet and regular soda and opt for water instead.
- No Food 3 Hours Before Bed - Studies show that people you are more likely to put on weight by eating late at night. Schedule your dinner and eat it at the table, making sure to be conscious of what you're eating.
- Move for 10 Minutes - Everyday, without fail, make sure to get 10 minutes of physical activity in, or more if you can. In only 10 minutes every day, you can improve your heart health and lose 10 lbs.
- Control Your Portions - While the Just 10 plan doesn't require you to give up any of your favorite foods (outside of soda) you do have to exercise portion control. The Just 10 panel suggests that you don't eat any snacks larger than the size of your fist and to make sure that you carefully consider all of your foods.
- Weigh Yourself Daily - It's important to hold yourself accountable through regular weigh-ins and maintaining a food journal. Write down what you eat every day and track your progress so you can see your improvement in writing.
If you're interested in weight loss, check out some of the great tips we have on American Health and Beauty as well as exercise ideas. Weight loss should always be about lifelong fitness and not simply dropping pounds as quickly as possible, because chances are you'll gain them back. The Dr. Oz team has set up a great Just 10 guide on their website which you can view at http://members.doctoroz.com/challenge/the-just-10-challenge