If you're ordering restaurant salads with the hope that they'll be a healthy alternative to burgers or other temptations on the menu, you may be surprised to learn that some of these salads pack well over 1000 calories. You can eat a Whopper for 670 calories, and get 28 grams of protein.
Recently featured in Men's Health magazine, they examined 20 salads that were all high calorie, and not healthy. When the vegetables that make salad a great alternative are ruined with high calorie cheeses, salad dressings and other toppings, not only do they tip the calorie scale, but fats add up as well. Think before you order and remember that lettuce doesn't cancel out the calories of the fried food extravaganza you just put on top of it. As the popular weight loss series suggests Eat This, Not That!
- Applebee's Grilled Shrimp and Spinach Salad - 1050 calories, 11g saturated fat. Instead, order off of their Under 550 calorie menu, or even have the Sizzling Asian Shrimp which measures in with 710 calories and 3 grams of saturated fat, including sides.
- California Pizza Kitchen's Field Greens Salad with Gorgonzola Cheese - 1,098 calories, 18g saturated fat. Rather than load up on calories with this salad, you could eat an entire Kid's Pepperoni Pizza for 478 calories and 10g sat. fat.
- Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad - 1,310 calories, 15 g fat. Yes, a full half of the salads on Applebee's menu pack over 1000 calories, so stick to the under 550 calorie menu, or if you really want a salad, they offer a Weight Watchers Paradise Chicken Salad with 340 calories and 1 gram of saturated fat.
- T.G.I.Friday's Pecan-Crusted Chicken Salad - 1,360 calories What is perhaps most bothersome about this is the company's website doesn't have a nutrition information chart to guide patrons to a good choice - at least not one located where we can find it. They do have a Right Portion, Right Price section of their menu, but there are only three items and the only info online is that they are either low carb or low fat.
- California Pizza Kitchen's Thai Crunch Salad with Fresh Avocado - 1,399 calories, 10 g saturated fat CPK strikes again with this salad that's topped with two different dressings and fried wonton strips. The ginormous portion doesn't help either. A salad with the word "crunch" probably has something fried on it, so stay away.
- Chevy's Fresh Mex Tostada Salad with Chicken - 1,547 calories, 94 g fat (37 g saturated) Instead of this salad served in a fried tortilla bowl, you can eat 2 Grilled Chicken Tacos for 590 calories and 6 grams of saturated fat.
- T.G.I.Friday's Santa Fe Chopped Salad - 1,800 calories Fried tortilla strips, both mixed in the salad and on top, as well as a chipotle ranch dressing make this salad the number 1 worst on our list. You could have nearly 3 Whoppers for the amount of calories in this one salad.